Thursday, June 28, 2007

The effect of slow computer hardware on IT workers


*Disclaimer: This post is very very very very biased (but what isn't) but something I run into quite often.

Today I have spent the last 15 out of 30 minutes waiting on my main computer here at my day job. Why? I work for a big place with quite a bit of extra money why can't they just fork out the 1.5k for a decent main computer for me? We have decent test machines but we are supposed to use our slowest box for our primary daily machine. There is a few reasons why this bothers me:


  • Second to my brain, my computer is the thing I use the most

  • It shows to me that the company really doesn't care about my performance

  • Since it doesn't matter to the company if I wait for 2 minutes to open a webpage, they must not care if I surf the Internet for 2 minutes either (i.e. it promotes slacking)

  • It pisses me off when I have to wait on my tools, they need to get out of my way so I can finish thinking. If they don't get out of my way my morale sinks



There is a bright side to having slow machines. It means I get paid more for every hour I work because I am doing less work. :)

Currently to lessen the burden I use my home laptop (which my business purchased because I know what good tools do to boost productivity) to check my work email while I am work.

Hopefully when I finally leave the corporate world and work full-time on my business I will not forget that good hardware is a key thing to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home