Monday, January 28, 2008

The Effect of High Energy People

Recently I have been in a funk at work.  I get there and just kind of get some stuff done but I really just don't care how it goes.  However, last Friday that changed.  I met with a person whose name was J.D. Meier who also works at Microsoft.  We talked about life at MS and how it differed greatly depending on the team and the organization you are in.  We also touched on how he approached work and life.  

One idea I was left with after talking with him was that to maintain high energy you need to have one of two things (sadly neither were bucket loads of caffeine).

1) People around you that are high-energy and positive (i.e. not clock punchers)
2) Projects that you are energized about and wanting to jump out of bed (or not go to bed) so you can work on them.  

If you don't have one or both of these things the job can start to suck the energy you might have for other activities outside of work.  So, you need to find those people or projects so that energy is more plentiful.  This made me realized I was missing one of these elements which I believe was leading me to this funk.  Thankfully J.D. is very high energy so I am feeling mucho better and don't feel so "blah" after sitting in my "prison cell" (drop by my work sometimes and you can look at the cement walls with me).  

Maybe next time if you are ever feeling down and not motivated a high-energy person or a project you are actually interested in is what you need.  

Well back to work I go!  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home